Thursday, June 23, 2011

Microsoft Word How to paste in a section heading with a value of x.0.1

The first lesson seems to be "why are you trying to do that"

Fair enough, but I want to anyhow. If I paste in a section heading of the right indent from elsewhere in the document, it can't seem to figure out that it's supposed to be in section 10.0, and steadfastly decides that it will continue the last heading level that it was in or that for some reason continues to apply from way down where I am pasting to. Instead of 10.0.1, I'm getting 8.2.9. Who cares why, but to fix it, the solution is to paste it with the "start new list" option. Then, select "edit indent levels" which produces the screen with setting for each list level. Now the secret is that this window applies just to the list that the item that I'm editing is a member of, which is to say just itself. Assuming it says 8.0... 8.2... 8.29... for the three levels (Since I made this a new list, it probalby says 1.0.... 1.1.... 1.1.1....), I can just select the top level, set that to 10, set the middle level to 0, and viola.

There are probably some core concepts here which could be remembered for future use, but here's how to solve this one damn problem.