Thursday, January 12, 2012

Braun Pocket Twist

Finally getting some results searching for a replacement foil for my increasingly antique battery electric razor.

First, now some are finally coming up on ebay, and I'm figuring out that what I have is the "Pocket Twist 350". Of course, that was also printed on the body of the shaver, I'm just dense.

Cracks appeared in the impenetrable Braun website, and I found a parts area and a listing of all the battery models:

parts search:
http://www.braun.com/us/search.html

Pocket types:
http://www.service.braun.com/product/search.asp?rg=NA&c=US&l=GB&typ=pf&frmTyp=subgrp&sgrp=subgrp&grp=SH01%3C%7C%3ESH02%3C%7C%3ESH03%3C%7C%3ESH08%3C%7C%3E&s=&subgrp=CruZer+Twist%2C+PocketGo%2C+Pocket%2C+MobileShave

Of course, no info on the foil, just the damn cutting block. Humorously, they sell the battery door which makes sense since it frequently breaks off!

My model seems to have the following information:

Model: P10, 350, 355

Type: 5614

From one auction, the foil may be this part number:
65609760

With alternate part numbers maybe:
5609760, 81253239

From another auction, this foil looks visually to be the right one but it's hard to tell, none of the listed "type" numbers matches mine:
Part number 5 524760 (5 524 760).

Further information: I was trying to get the 65609760 to fit in my shaver and it doesn't, but then I noticed that printed in the foil of the original pocket twist itself is the number 614. This quickly produced hits, including this one which is for the entire cap and which says that you can't get it any more:

http://www.shavers.co.uk/product.php?product_id=107

Another hit was for the braun factory outlet store, which does, as predicted by the other site, not seem to have the 614 foil. A link on this site also showed where to find the braun "type" label, and sure enough the Pocket Twist 350 is type 5614. There are great deals for cutter blocks that I'll take advantage of if I ever get some replacement foils. I'm not sure why the 31S and 31B foils are listed as applying to the type 5614, because those foils sure look like double heads or something:

http://braun.factoryoutletstore.com/Category/CategoryListNoCache.aspx?category_id=0&search_term=5614

There's also a shaverspares.com site that also doesn't have the 614 foil but lists the 31B as an option for some reason.

Yet another update: I had the brainstorm to see if the foil for my other Braun razor, a plug in one, was available. It was type 5596 and the foil had the number 596 on it, and sure enough this one as a cap with the foil in it is available nearly everywhere. I think I ended up getting one through ebay. For some reason, the "1000" foil and cap set is listed as fitting type 5596 although the pictures on line aren't clear enough to tell if this is true.