Thursday, February 13, 2014

Reinstall Dell Windows 7 on blank hard drive

Trying to rebuild my Dell Inspiron 5600 OS by buying a blank replacement hard drive and reinstalling the OS from the restore disks that came with the laptop. It was a bit worrisome so I did some research ahead of time and found a couple of nice guides and it all worked out fine; it turns out that there are options for complete restore. There was one issue where it didn't like a driver for the hard drive itself, I'll see if I can also dig up the links that I consulted for that one. Also it took forever to get all the extra drivers installed.

Guides to OS restoration:

Here is a pretty nice one, not the one I consulted:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/bz/en/bzdhs1/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=bz&l=en&s=dhs&docid=614293