Tuesday, November 10, 2015

How to get a list of com ports in Windows 7 without being administrator

Thanks to my job treating employees like preschoolers, I no longer have the ability to view the device manager on my laptop. I am trying to use the laptop to control a remote device through USB, how to I tell what COM port my USB device has been assigned to? There might be better ways, but what I found is using the heretofore unknown "MODE" command in a DOS window. This will list all printer and com ports with lots of info.

Sources:

This had the key info, although some users on this thread also mention powershell which was the commonly supplied answer on other threads also:
http://superuser.com/questions/835848/how-to-view-serial-com-ports-but-not-through-device-manager

This thread beats on the problem a lot with powershell and some visual basic scripts, but does not reference the MODE command which seems like such an easy solution:
http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/352184/Windows_command_to_quickly_lis