Thursday, May 19, 2016

Android move pictures to SD card

A few weeks after we got the android phone, we had managed to fill up its internal memory with photos. So, I needed to learn how to do a few things. 1) Set the photo app to save to the SD card that I'd made certain to buy and install but which wasn't being used by the phone, 2) Move all the photos out of the phone memory to the SD card, and 3) Set the "Gallery" app to show the pictures from the SD card. We're running Android OS 4.2, Jelly Bean.

2) The way that android implements the cut and paste paradigm for files is a little clunky but honestly a whole lot easier than Apple. The key is to find the "My Files" app and then dig through layers to get to the photo folder for the on-board storage. I think that the order of the levels is odd in some way, but just keep going till you get to the DCIM folder (not the Pictures folder, which is just for screen caps or downloads). Then find the button for "select all". Then under the hamburger menu find the "copy" option. Somebody on one of the sites I found recommended doing "Copy" followed by "Delete" rather than "Move" because you never know when something could go wrong in the middle of an operation, potentially causing loss of data. The thing that the various guides didn't prepare me for is that the copy will seem to freeze, but actually it is still going! Patience is required. I ended up trying copy twice which resulted in the files being copied twice. Copies are helpfully renamed "Copy of ..." and I had to go in through the USB port to clean things up.

I looked at several guide pages, and have since lost the original links that I was using, so here are some substitute links to online guides:

This guide is actually better than the first one I found in that the OS looks more like mine: http://innov8tiv.com/how-to-move-pictures-from-gallery-to-sd-card-in-android-galaxy-s5-or-any-other-phone/

I think this was the original guide that I followed: http://www.wikihow.com/Move-Pictures-from-Android-to-SD-Card

3) It wasn't clear at first if there would be a problem getting the Gallery app to check both the on-board memory and the SD card. Several people online had posted about having problems with it, but basically all that is needed is some way to get the app to re-index the phone, which for me seemed to happen naturally, either as a result of time or perhaps a phone reboot.

Here's the google search for the problem showing al the other peoples' pain with this issue: https://www.google.com/#q=android+gallery+show+pictures+from+both+internal+memory+and+sd+card