Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Microsoft Word 2016 list of tables missing table numbers

My document is having some of the weirdest list of figures issues I've seen so far, thanks most likely to the wonton cutting and pasting that I did early on in my rewrite. The main issues seem due to cuting and pasting text which had a figure with a caption, in which case the new figure number didn't update, and furthermore was invisible to group updating as well. After manually updating the caption number it would respond to group updating, but then I started having a new problem where the caption would appear in the list of figures, without the figure number!

Several useful hints in this forum thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_other/lost-references-to-captions-in-cross-references/89e88734-c0c5-4e6f-a0d2-c51b8d17ad14